"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy. "

12 October 2010

Family Affair

I love having all of my family around me for this cycle. Its what I'm going to focus on to get me through the anxiety and fear of IVF. Its also amazingly convenient that a few of them live a few blocks away from the clinic that I have to go to every morning to get my blood drawn and ultrasounds taken.

So here's many of the ways that my wonderful family is helping me through this:

First, I stayed with my parents in the burbs during the first few days of the cycle when I didn't have to be at the clinic every day. There my mom took me with her to the gym on her guest pass. She did a load of my laundry. We went to visit my grandma who I haven't seen in a while. And I also got to sleep in a very comfy new bed and had some quiet time to myself.

Now that I have to be at the clinic every day here on out until retrieval, I will be in the city with my sisters and brother. Each of them is contributing in their own way. My brother is letting me use his extra parking space so I don't have to pay a butt load of $$ every day in the city. My sister is letting me camp out at her apartment during the day so I can work remotely in a peaceful environment with an amazing view of the Sears Tower, across the street from a grocery store with a fantastic salad bar I can go to for lunch, and across from a chocolate factory (YES!!!) that gives me yummy smells every time I walk out the door. My other sister is letting me sleep at her place when she's away on a trip so I have a quiet place to call home base and lay my head.

Then, the day before retrieval, I'll move back to my parents place in the burbs so that B and the pup can come down and stay with me. Also, I will be able to rest in a space I know to be comforting after the procedure. I will stay there until after the transfer (assuming we make it to transfer... as you know, nothing is guaranteed in IVF) and then head back to my usual life up north for the remainder of the wait.

While this all may sound very complicated to you, its so nice to be able to live the city life for a few days and spend some good every day time with my family. No frills, no expectations, just living a daily life. I like that. Its comforting, warming ... and I hope, dear baby, that you can see, how much this family wants you to be here, how much they are willing to do to help you enter our lives... as fast as you can.

---------------------------------------------------------------
p.s - For those of you who understand cycle speak: after 4 days of stims (300u follistim, antagonist protocol) I definitely have a good number of eggs growing! I've got about 4 or so on each ovary that are measuring at  12mm-ish and then another 3-4 visible ones on each. So, hoping for maybe a good 12 eggs to make it out of retrieval! I don't get estradiol updates until later in the process, so I have no clue how they really are doing, but keep those fingers crossed. Today I started ganirelix and will be going in for b/w and u/s every day here on out. I really like this protocol better than the agonist (or long lupron) suppression one. It seems easier on my body and more in tune with my cycle rather than forcing something something. Hopefully the difference in protocol will do the trick. Oh, and all that other stuff I'm doing (metformin, yoga, acupuncture, diet changes, supplements, extra B-vitamins..... the list... its large!)

For those of you who want to learn what all of these protocols are, I found a good visual to help. Happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to have such an amazing supportive family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes all the difference in the world to have a supportive family during something so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man...I can absolutely envision everything! What a wonderful, calming place to be.

    P.S. Working in your jammies helps, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat - I think you are cruising right along and I LOVE that you will be with family. It's a wonderful way to imagine a new life settling into your womb... knowing family is there to welcome them along this journey. Your numbers sound amazing and I can't wait to hear how everything goes. Here for you every step of the way!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post brought a smile to my face. How wonderful that not only has your family rallied around you with such love and generosity, but that you have let them in on this process. Infertility is hard enough, why not let those who love you in so that they can be there to help love and support you along the way.

    This post really sounded peaceful. Is that weird? I just imagine you in all of these wonderful places, taking it easy as you go through the cycle. Its great. I hope it is the magic you need to make this cycle work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for family support and love! I love that you list all the things you are grateful for and are enjoying your time with them. What a great way to cruise through this! Nice work Ores/Walsh Fam! :)

    ReplyDelete