"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy. "

09 January 2010

Gaga (or "Things you can do when you aren't a mom, yet")

When hearing the syllables ga ga, if you live anywhere near babyland, you might assume this is some sort of baby talk... 'goo goo ga ga' or some such shit...


Instead I will forever now think of a friday night where I did something spontaneous that I would NEVER have done in 2009. I SPLURGED on a concert. I made the decision to go and bought the tickets the DAY OF the concert. !!! And it was a blast. If you know me well, you would understand that that's highly unlike me. I'm usually very planned and have quite a few weekday and weekend nights plotted out for weeks at a time.

Instead, I agreed w/ my sister, L, to go see Lady Gaga in concert last night! It was AMAZING!!! L said, "I can die now. That was the happiest day of my life!"  I was thinking, "Oh, I hope your wedding in September this year will top this, but for now, yeah, it was pretty kick ass!!!"  With bad boxed wine and champagne in hand, we enjoyed watching the theater fill with a subculture of people that certainly live and die by perezhilton.com (I guess I do a bit too, but who's counting). We pointed at amazing costumes and played "Spot the straight guy in the crowd". And then we danced our little butts off  for 2 hours as we watched more of an amazing spectacle than merely a concert.

As I drove the 2.5 hours back from Chicago today, I felt proud of myself for not worrying about the other things I could be getting done at home during the evening and the driving time, or the other things I could have put the money towards (next IVF cycle, adoption, bathroom remodel)...  Instead, I just said screw it and thought of nothing by how much fun it would be to go to see Lady Gaga in concert that night... And nothing more.

2009 was the year of the 3 failed IVF cycles... the year of scrounging every penny to pay for 3 failed IVF cycles. It plain sucked... Yes, I did learn some valuable lessons, and I do believe I am honestly better for it. I've learned much more patience (B may not think so, but I do).  I've learned that I have an amazing family and husband who help to keep me sane through all of this.  And mostly, I've learned that there are many things I used to think were important that simply ... aren't.

2010 will be the year of...I'm not sure yet... but if nothing else, at least I got to see Lady Gaga!!!

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!! Love it!! Good for you women! I hope you had a fabulous time!! If that's not living in the "now" I don't know what is. I was contemplating buying her album and I think It's a done deal in honor of you. I hope you have many more moments like these in 2010 to just go out there and enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Chermy...living in the Now is exactly what I was going to say. I LOVE that you were able to do this for yourself, K! Well, dangit, now I think I'm going to have fall on the GaGa bandwagon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete